Chief, Strategic Planning and Membership (2008 to present)
Over the last decade I have headed the ITU General Secretariat Strategic Planning and Membership Department for the Secretary General, directing a team of six division managers and up to 80 staff, and spearheading important changes:
- Overhauled Member relations to pursue a ‘customer-oriented’ approach, focused on understanding and responding to interests and needs of Members, and streamlined our membership system.
- Launched and now maintain a major engagement across the UN system, bringing the ITU’s expertise into all of the UN’s ICT-related activities (including the many dimensions of sustainable development).
- Transformed ITU’s public profile and communications, consolidating its brand, now conveying an image across the internet, social and traditional media of an institution that is relevant, expert and professional.
- Improved ITU’s efficiency, transparency and governance through various improved procedures.
In addition, I have several regular responsibilities and have led numerous initiatives over the last decade:
- Principal advisor to ITU Secretary-General; Secretary to the Plenipotentiary Conference; Secretary to the ITU Council (which governs the ITU between Plenipotentiary Conferences); Member and Secretary of the Management Coordination Group; Secretary of the Coordination Committee; Member of the General Secretariat Management Committee, the Intersectoral Task Force, and the WSIS/SDG Task Force, Chair of the Gender Task Force.
- Launched the Equals Global Partnership (www.equals.org) a multi-stakeholder evidence-based network bringing women to tech, and tech to women. Created the Equals Tech Awards, and annual award to recognize outstanding achievements and innovative strategies that harness ICTs for women's empowerment.
- Direct and manage all ITU global conferences, overseeing preparations (e.g., chairing the Plenipotentiary Preparatory Group), managing all inputs to and outputs from the conferences, and overseeing implementation of resolutions and decisions (includes Plenipotentiary Conferences, World Telecom Policy Forums, World Conference on International Telecommunications, and ITU Council).
- Established the ITU office to the UN in New York, and oversee coordination of UN affairs, putting ITU at the center of digital aspects of sustainable development. Currently ITU Representative to the UN High-Level Committee on Programmes which reports to the UN Chief Executives Board for Coordination, comprising the chief executives of UN agencies.
- Under the SG’s leadership, launched and now act as Coordinator of the Broadband Commission for Sustainable Development (www.broadbandcommission.org), a groundbreaking cooperation and dialogue among 60 commissioners from the highest levels of government, industry and the UN to promote broadband in economic and social development.
- Directed the first ITU global youth summit, #BYND2015 (www.itu.int/en/bynd2015) with 700 participants and 3000 remote participants. Created ICT Discovery Museum.
- Develop ITU’s strategic and operational plans in the context of ICT trends and the global information economy.
- Represent ITU in engagement with other bodies (e.g., G20 Digital Economy Task Force; Internet Governance Forum, WEF Internet for All Steering Committee Member, and Senior Deputy for WEF Digital Economy and Society Initiative) as keynote speaker, panelist, and ITU spokesperson.
- Drive internal collaboration on several issues including the annual WSIS Forum, gender equality, child online protection (COP), and cybersecurity.
Head, Regulatory & Market Environment Division, ITU Telecommunication Development Bureau (2007 to 2008)
Managed programmes and advised the BDT Director and developing country governments on regulatory reform, economics, and finance. Initiatives included:
- Principal architect and director of the Global Symposium for Regulators (GSR) (http://www.itu.int/en/ITU-D/Conferences/GSR/Pages/GSR.aspx), the only global gathering of the world’s ICT regulatory community.
- Created, launched and directed the ICT Regulatory Survey, the world’s reference for regulatory and key market data (www.itu.int/net4/itu-d/icteye).
- Advised senior management on strategic and policy issues of concern to the Bureau and ITU as a whole.
- Project manager for development and implementation of a consolidated ICT database.
Head, Regulatory Reform Unit, BDT (2003 to 2007)
- Directed the Regulatory Reform Programme, providing practical tools and resources for regulators; provided training to regulators; defined annual objectives and budget resource requirements; co-authored the annual ‘Trends in Telecommunication Reform’ report. Oversaw the ECOWAS/UEMOA Regulatory/Policy Harmonization project.
Regulatory Officer, Policy Analyst, Secondment, BDT (1993 to 2003)
- Organized regional and global workshops; delivered presentations on complex regulatory issues; co-authored ‘Effective Regulation Case Study: Brazil’, as well as annual Trends report.
Policy Analyst, BDT (1994 to 1997)
- Managed the Programme for Policy, Strategies, and Financing; planned and implemented programme activities; contributor to ‘Trade in Services’ study for Africa; revised the ‘Americas Blue Book’, the ‘African Green Paper’ and the ‘Arab Book’.
Secondment, BDT (1993 to 1994)
- Developed programme, reviewed and coordinated conference inputs for the first World Telecommunication Development Conference (WTDC), held in Buenos Aires in 1994.